Tequila’s Kitchen Diaries: Leche Flan
Leche Flan is known internationally as crème caramel or caramel custard or simply ‘flan’. It is a dessert made-up of eggs and milk with a soft caramel on top popular in the Philippines. It is one of the most requested desserts of all time. It is usually present during celebrations such as parties and town fiestas, and has also earned a spot in the dessert menu of most restaurants. It is very convenient to prepare and has long shelf life.
So one Sunday afternoon, after the church service, I decided to try making some for my Dad and Mom. As someone who is just trying to learn how to cook, my best source for recipe and how-tos is the internet. And just like the many popular dish, I have discovered a lot of variations in creating the Leche Flan. As a result, the kitchen noob in me got all confused that I decide to ping our family’s official foodie babe, Stephanie. I had her checked on my ingredients and asked for tips on how to make one. She ended our conversation with “good luck separating the whites from the yolks”.
Other things you’ll need:
Llanera or Moulder
STEP 1: Prepare the custard.
- Separate the whites from the yolks and place in a medium bowl.
- Pour the evaporated milk and then the condensed milk to the bowl.
- Add the 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Stir gently in one circular motion to prevent bubbles until blended.
STEP 2: Prepare the caramel syrup.
- Dissolve 2 tbsp of sugar with 2 tsp water in a llanera over medium heat.
- DO NOT STIR. Just gently swirl the llanera over the flames until sugar is melted and golden.
- Continuously tilting and swriling the llanera will ensure even melting.
- Once the sugar is evenly melted and distributed in the llanera, remove from heat and place on top of cold water to harden the caramel, or wait for about 10 minutes.
STEP 3: All set for cooking
- Pour the custard to the llanera with caramel syrup.
- Cover the llanera with aluminum foil.
- Put at least 6 cups of boiled water in the steamer. In my case, I used our rice cooker. hehehehe.
- Place the llanera with foil in the steamer, then cover it.
- Steam for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from steam and let it cool.
STEP 4: Ready to serve!
- Remove the flan from the llanera by carefully running a knife on the edge of the moulder.
- Invert it to the serving dish allowing the caramelized sugar to flow above the flan and unto the platter.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
This is the first time that I made it. And I’m so happy that it was a success. My parents loved it!
So pardon me if I wanted to post this commemorative selfie. Hahahah!
Happy eating everyone!
Follow me on these social media platforms
Twitter @tequiladramedy @tequilawrote
Instagram @tequiladramedy @tequiladramedyblog
WordPress www.thetequiladramedy.com https://www.mscathie.wordpress.com
Thank you for taking time reading my blog! See you again soon!